Blood Pressure Medications
Risk of high blood pressure in children
Many people are under a misconception that high blood pressure only affects adults but the fact of the matter is that children are also at a risk of suffering from high blood pressure due to various constituents. Blood pressure in children propels other health conditions such as kidney diseases, heart diseases including heart stroke. So as concerned parents, is there anything you can do to help your children? Yes, the first thing you can do is to increase your awareness by educating yourself about the internal and external factors that trigger high blood pressure in children so you can decipher ways to treat or prevent their condition.
Causes of high blood pressure in children
Obesity is known to be the primary cause of blood pressure in children. Obesity in children can occur due to the following factors
- Food that is devoid of vital essential nutrients and high in saturated fats or cholesterol. Owing to the hectic pace of modern lifestyle the dietary requirements of a child has not been given due attention.
- Off late, most children consume food either by watching television or computer which prompts them to consume more quantity than what is required by the body leading them to gain excess weight.
- There has been a transitional shift in the lifestyle of a kid from previous generations and recent times. Most kids these days resort to their home playing games on the computer rather than playing outside which involves high physical activity. This inactivity also paves way for obesity and other health problems.
Secondary causes for high blood pressure include a family history of blood pressure and other underlying medical conditions a child might be afflicted with.
Tests to detect high blood pressure in children
Detecting high blood pressure is a little tricky in children than compared to adults. Although children have same tests as adults, interpreting the blood pressure number however, is tricky because children have varying blood pressure levels pertaining to their age and size of the body. Urine and blood tests are the general tests conducted to detect high blood pressure.
Steps to prevent and treat high blood pressure in children
Early detection is the prime key in treating the blood pressure effectively. By detecting this disease at early stages prevention and aggravation of other health conditions can also be realized.
- Experts recommend regular blood pressure tests for all children who are above 3 years old. Infants who weigh lower than their desired birth weight and who are born preterm must be tested in specific as they are at a higher risk of developing the disease.
- Monitor your child for any signs and symptoms such as fatigue, fainting, headaches, problems with breathing and changes in vision.
- Check the labels of the all food packets purchased in the grocery store. Stay away from the processed food aisle of the grocery store as much as possible.
- If obesity is the cause for high blood pressure, employ weight loss techniques by emphasizing on DASH (dietary approach to stop hypertension) diet plan. All this must be done under the strict supervision of a pediatrician. Research about all the food that help to naturally reduce hypertension and incorporate them into the daily routine of your child.
- Precise combination of medication and lifestyles changes can prove to be very effective in lowering hypertension in children. Right medications can be prescribed by a doctor in accordance with the child’s age and size, after performing certain basic health check-ups.
- By keeping a tight check and making minor modifications in the lifestyle of a child, parents can ensure their child is not vulnerable to hypertension as well as other environmental and dietary related medical illness.
© 2017 Blood Pressure Medication. All Rights Reserved.